Monday, May 27, 2013

In the Sea I am Free



"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came." ~John F. Kennedy


The sea constantly calls me, for it nourishes my body and soul. I am grateful for my freedom to skip down to the nearby beach and take a dip anytime I want. I am constantly reminded of and thankful for this freedom as the U.S. helicopters from a nearby Marine base frequently fly over my local surf break.
Memorial Day evokes the young soldier sweating on the filed in a far away place from his family and friends, not knowing if he will make it back. While we enjoy our BBQs and beach parties, the men and women who have and are currently serving our county are in my heart and thoughts. The below sea/surfing shots (taken with my GoPro Hero 3) are a tribute to all these men and women. Thank you.



 






 
The finest in wavecraft, courtesy of Michael Miller and John Cherry, two of the best surfboard shapers in San Diego and in the biz.

There's nothing like sharing your passion with your child. Thanks to my friend Val Reynolds for this fun photo of me and my son sharing some waves together.


In the sea I am free...thanks photographer Andrew Quinn for capturing me in my element.

 
The photo I found on the Internet says it all. Thank you!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dre, What a cool, beautiful post!! I'm lovin the GoPro stuff!

    Lets all get in the water when you get home.

    Love you guys, JC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JC! Yes let's surf soon please!!! I need to put the GoPro on the Cherry!!! woo hooo

    ReplyDelete